Friday, May 6, 2011

Preschool....

Today, Friday, I went to sign Alana up for "preschool". I put it off and put it off, and then finally sent an email to see if they had any spots left ( I think I secretly wished they would say no, so I could keep my little lady with me). What do you know, they had one spot left in the Friday morning class! 

I really am excited for her to go. I know she will love it. It's just, as a stay at home mom, I find it hard to let go and let my babies be taken care of by anyone else but me. Even when Alan watches them, I sometimes find myself telling him things I know he already knows....just so I feel a little more at ease. Like, "make sure you hold her hand when she goes up the ladder to the slide".....or "make sure she wears her jacket". Really, I'm a control freak....there, I said it! Because I am the main care provider...and a nervous nelly... it is very hard for me to give up that control and just let them go with whoever. I wish I were more laid back...but this is me! Love it or hate it... this is the way I am, and I don't really see that changing. 

So, we went to the preschool this morning to get paperwork filled out and the deposit placed. They gave us a little mini tour and showed us the classroom she will be in. We walked in the door to the classroom and the other kids were playing, and what does Alana do?? She let go of my hand, pulled out a chair at the table and sat with the other kids to do a craft!! She really didn't care if I was there or not. lol Which surprised me, a little. She is an outgoing little girl and very talkative, so I figured she would be ok, eventually....but she loved it from the very first second!! When they were done with their craft she got up and went to a little table that had play dough out....and took a bite of a star made out of play dough! lol ( I quickly grabbed it out of her mouth!) I think it embarrassed the teacher a little, because they weren't really watching her, and I'm the one that  had my eye on her. But I think that's just because I'm her Mom. It's one of those things that I didn't even realize I was paying attention to her, the teachers were talking to me and explaining things, showing me papers....and I still unknowingly had my eye on her. Anyway, the teacher quickly assured me that it was non-toxic and home made (she didn't swallow any) and said that will be something she will learn at preschool--- We don't eat play dough! She has never played with play dough, so I really think she thought it was a cookie. lol The look on her face was just too funny. 

When we were leaving she kept saying..."that was fun!" I told her I couldn't wait until she could go back and she said , " yeah and tell daddy!" 

I think she is going to have a blast. Which makes me so happy. I love that she will be able to make new friends and play and I will get a little alone time with Brynna. It will only be on Fridays for 2.5 hours. So, it wont be terribly long, but just enough to start out and get her me used to it

1 comment:

Megan said...

I know that first thought of letting your kid go is tough, but I truly think preschool is so important for kids! It helps them in SO many ways...learning about school, following rules, socializing, sharing, and academics. Glad she enjoyed her first time there, even just for enrollment!