Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mission Accomplished!

Today, I actually got out of the house and went to the mall with the girls! Yes!! You read that right, I did it! And was it ever fabulous! I was determined to make it out of the house by myself...I just needed to prove to myself that I could indeed do it. I was very productive, too.

First, let me tell you the prep work involved in the simple process of getting out of the house. I of course had to get myself dressed, Alana dressed, and Brynna dressed. I then gathered all the necessities for in the diaper bag, which wasn't much more than some milk and water for Alana, because I keep the bag pretty stocked otherwise. I then fed Brynna so she would be nice and full for the trip and I wouldn't have to worry about breastfeeding her in public. After she was done I had to rush to get her in her seat, Alana's shoes on, my shoes on, get Alana and the bags downstairs and in the car, then run up and get Brynna and get her snapped in the car. It is probably quite comical to watch me run around the house like a crazy woman, trying to be fast, yet efficient. I finally had everyone and everything in the car and we were off! Alana was so excited to be getting out of the house. She talked the whole way and every time she would see a big building she would ask if that was the "store". We eventually made it to the mall and I got out to get my new fancy (not really that fancy) double stroller out of the back. Well, the darn thing wouldn't open up...all the other times I have used it ( with Alan there) it has opened like a dream, never a problem. Well, this time it decides to be difficult and I cannot get it open. So I have a panic moment...throw it back in the back of the car ( not really throw it b/c it probably weighs about the same as me!) and get in the car and call Alan. I'm not really sure what I expected him to do for me...I just wanted to whine about it! lol So, when Alana hears me telling Alan, on the phone, that we can't go to the mall she starts bawling, because she wants to go to the mall. I then decided to take a couple deep breaths and get out of the car and try again. I was determined not to leave until I got that darn thing to work. And I did eventually get it open....it took a little while, some muscle and some problem solving, but I got it! So, I loaded the kiddos up and we were off to do our errands! I was able to go to the post office and mail out some packages I've needed to mail out for quite some time, buy birthday cards, and 2 birthday gifts! It was a very successful trip to the mall. After I loaded the kids back in the car, I went to the bank and then to Chick Fil-a! I figured I deserved to eat some fast food, after such an accomplishment. But here's where it all begins to fall apart... See, Brynna is usually a very happy baby and doesn't really cry too much. However, she doesn't really like the car....especially when you have to sit at stop lights or in traffic. So every time I had to stop at a stop light...which seemed like a lot, she screams and cries until the car starts moving again. And apparently she doesn't like fast food places, either. She screamed the whole time I ordered, waited, gave my money and got the food. Oh, and when Brynna cries Alana thinks it's fun to also cry in this really annoying whiny, fake, cry to get attention. So, there we are at the pick up window, with 2 screaming, crying and whining kids and the lady just looks at me like she feels so sorry for me! We did make it home, though. I think as a Mom you have this ability to turn on this switch and ignore the crying and whining. It's a great talent....but it doesn't always work. Just a side not: No, I do not just let my children cry and ignore them...I'm just saying sometimes you can block it out a smidge, so you don't lose your mind! I made it home...got both kids upstairs, fed and they are now laying down for their naps. How glorious!!

Now it's time for a little "me" time, until the hubby gets home and I can have a break from playing and changing diapers nonstop! Hopefully I'll get some Zumba in, to work off the nuggets and fries I ate today!

Overall, it has been a great and productive day. I wish everyday could be like that! If only...

No comments: