Thursday, January 6, 2011

Oh yeah, I had a baby!

Well it sure has been a while. Considering my last post was announcing that I was pregnant with my 2nd baby and I have since had her and she is 10 weeks old....I'd say we have some catching up to do!
Where to start, where to start....

Well my pregnancy was relatively quiet and normal. I had really no "morning" sickness, which was fabulous. I only gained between 20 and 25 pounds, also fabulous! Our awesome friends, Michelle and Carl, threw us a Gender Reveal Party to announce the sex of the baby. It was really exciting, the morning of the party we had an ultrasound to determine the sex and told the tech to not tell us the sex. Before we went I made 2 cards...one said "It's a Boy" and one said "It's a Girl" and the tech left the room and put one of the cards in an envelope and threw the other one away. Then we were off to Morgantown to celebrate with family and at the party we opened the envelope in front of everyone and announced "It's a Girl!!" I was right, of course!! I mean, I am a woman.....are we ever wrong?! lol

I can't really think of much more that happened in the pregnancy until my mom and Michelle threw me a fabulous and intimate shower with close family and friends. It was great to get together and celebrate another baby. I know some people think it's selfish or greedy to have a shower for a 2nd baby....but I say a baby is a miracle, no matter how many other children you have. Why should you not celebrate the 2nd just as much as the first?! Anyway, it was great and greatly appreciated!

Through the pregnancy we decided to keep the name a complete surprise. Which was very hard, but the closer it got the more fun it was and there was definitely no turning back! We deliberated over the name for a very long time. Every night, after we put Alana to bed, Alan and I would go to a baby name website and go through a letter a night and made a list of names we liked. Let me just tell you, the list of names we could both agree on was very short. We narrowed it down to 2 and for several weeks we thought we had one picked and then we both agreed we didn't. lol Obviously we eventually picked the name and kept it a secret until the very end!! Success!

Sooooo, of course, just like with Alana, my body just never went into labor on its own. Huge disappointment! I was told by some doctors they would not induce since I had a previous c-section while others said they would be willing to induce...so it was a very confusing and hard decision to make. But after having an ultrasound to determine a good estimate of her size, Alan and I decided to just schedule a c-section on my due date to spare my body the stress of going through another labor and pushing, just to result in another surgery. So delivery day came....I was extremely nervous about the surgery, but figured everything would go great considering I had gone through it before. I have never been more wrong in my life!

They wheeled me back to the operating room, leaving Alan to wait in the hall until they got everything set up. This is when my own personal hell began! They sat me up to do the spinal....they start the spinal and I am in horrible pain down my back and into my legs so they stop and try again.....horrible pain again. So they stop and try again....which resulted in horrible horrible scary pain. At this point I am sobbing on the operating table, hunched over, trying not to move and remember to breath all at the same time. They called for a bigger needle and decided they would just do an epidural instead. So they try it and it results in more pain and doesn't work and they try again and finally, finally get it right. At this point you can only imagine how incredibly freaked out I am! I'm sobbing and trying to catch my breath, but I can still feel everything!! Then the real freaking out begins....I will spare you the long story of freaking out, but it ends with them warning Alan before they brought him in that I was going a little crazy and not to be scared, me screaming and crying during the entire surgery and almost being put to sleep completely....but then, they got her out! Just in time, they pulled her out and we heard her cry! It was the best feeling in the world!! I did it, I survived the surgery, barely. Now the recovery process began. That's not really a fun story, so I'll just tell you that it was much harder the 2nd time around.

Brynna Fern Raudenbush was born on October 28th at 11:56 am she was 8 lbs 13 oz! When they pulled her out the nurse said, "well Ashley, I think you just make big babies!" lol (Alana was 9 lbs 3 oz when she was born) Everyone always asks us how we came up with her name....and honestly people, we just found her first name online....there's no cute story behind it. And it is pronounced like "Brinnah". I never thought about all of the pronunciations people would think it was until people started mispronouncing her name. Amazing! Her middle name, however, is very special. Fern was my Great Aunt Janet's middle name and she was very dear to me. So we wanted to honor her by giving Brynna her middle name. Besides, it's a pretty stinkin' cute name too. In my opinion, at least.

So that's that. She came home from the hospital on Halloween and is really a great baby. She only ever cried if she wants to eat or if she is sleepy and wants you to snuggle her to sleep. Alana has fallen into the big sister role very well. She of course has her jealousy issues from time to time, but they are minor and considering she's not even 2 yet, I think she is doing fabulous.

Since this has become the largest post in the history of blog posts, I will save stories of Christmas for another day!

I hope you enjoyed getting caught up on this thing that is my crazy life!

No comments: